Tuesday, October 26, 2021

FARC leader orders rebels to suspend arms purchases

Colombia Reports

Timochenko (Image credit: YouTube)

FARC leader “Timochenko” on Tuesday said that he has given orders to all guerrillas to end all purchases of weapons and ammunition as peace talks to end half a decade of armed conflict with the state continue.

The FARC leader took to Twitter to make the announcement, stating that “on September 30, 2015 I gave the order to all structures to suspend the purchase of arms and ammunition.”

- Advertisement -

Both the FARC and the military have been trying to de-escalate violence ahead of a possible truce and subsequent peace deal that negotiators hope to reach before the end of March.

FARC call for immediate truce, claiming Colombia’s peace talks under threat

Profile

FARC

Timochenko


Fact sheet

Peace talks

The FARC on July 20 agreed to uphold a unilateral ceasefire after which the government ordered the suspension of air strikes and significantly reduced ground operations.

Timochenko, whose real name is Rodrigo Londoño, said in October that he was consulting his fellow rebel leaders about a possible suspension of recruitment of new fighters.

FARC may stop recruiting new fighters: Timochenko

“At these heights of the process and its evolution I think that we should suspend recruitment. I won’t decide. I am in consultations,” Timochenko explained on Twitter.

- Advertisement -

The FARC never confirmed a suspension of fighters was eventually agreed.

The rebels and the government are currently negotiating a bilateral and definite ceasefire which in effect would end the conflict ahead of the formal signing of a peace accord.

If successful, the peace talks that have been ongoing since November 2012 will end the FARC’s 51-year-long armed resistance against the state and will convert the rebel group into a political movement.

The post FARC leader orders rebels to suspend arms purchases appeared first on .

Colombia Reports

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Related Articles

Colombia captures its most wanted drug lord ‘Otoniel’

QCOLOMBIA - Colombian authorities said on Saturday they captured Dairo Antonio...

Canceled euthanasia: Martha Sepúlveda was ready to die on Sunday

QCOLOMBIA - 51-year-old Martha Sepúlveda, diagnosed with ALS, had been slated...
- paying the bills -

MOST READ

- paying the bills -

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!

Colombia Reports