Wednesday, 25 November 2020

Colombia opens investigations over 1985 Palace of Justice siege

The Palace of Justice after the military attack (Photo: Central Bank)

Colombia’s Prosecutor General Eduardo Montealegre announced Wednesday the opening of a multi-faceted investigation into the violent official response to the 1985 guerrilla takeover of the Palace of Justice.

Montealegre said the first line of a three-part investigation will focus on retired General Victor Delgado, the head of Colombia’s National Police at the time of the incident.

The investigation, he said, will also examine the roles played by authorities within the now-defunct Administrative Security Department (DAS) and the administration of then-President Belisario Betancur.

In 1985, the M-19 urban guerrilla group took over Colombia’s Supreme Court in Bogota, taking the judges themselves hostage and demanding that Betancur present himself to stand trial.

- paying the bills -

In response, the police and military raided the building, in a problematic operation that left 100 people dead, including 11 of the country’s 25 supreme court justices, and set the building on fire.

The details of the Palace of Justice siege have been marred in controversy and confusion since, and a series of court rulings have held the military responsible for the unreported “disappearances” of 11 civilians during the operation and condemned the Prosecutor General’s Office for failing to properly investigate the incident.

MORE: Govt denies people disappeared during Palace of Justice siege

Former Minister of Justice Carlos Medellin, the son of a judge who died in the raid, told news agency Colprensa he backed the Fiscal General’s new investigation.

“Contrary to popular belief, neither the president nor the ministers of that time have been investigated,” said Medellin.

- paying the bills -

In October, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (CIDR) opened its own investigation into the matter, which could result in sanctions on the Colombian state for the government’s mishandling of the rescue operation.

MORE: Colombia to be sanctioned for 1985 Palace of Justice massacre

Sources

The post Colombia opens investigations over 1985 Palace of Justice siege appeared first on Colombia News | Colombia Reports.

Rico
Rico
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of onlinemagazines that includes TodayColombia.com. Rico brings his special kind of savvy to online marketing. His websites are engaging, provocative, informative and sometimes off the wall, where you either like or you leave it. The same goes for him, like him or leave him.There is no middle ground. No compromises, only a passion to present reality as he sees it!

Related Articles

Former Colombia’s President Uribe placed under house arrest over witness tampering

(QCOLOMBIA) Colombia's highest court last week ordered that former President Alvaro...

Controversy in Colombia over the arrival of the US military

The arrival of US troops in Colombia has always caused controversy...

MOST READ

Let's Keep This Going!

To be updated with all the latest news and information about Colombia and Latin America.

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.