Friday, May 27, 2022

Army generals deny having found FARC kill list

farc logo

The army general in charge of operations against the FARC’s Teofilo Foreo Mobile column on Thursday claimed the alleged confiscation of a list of prominent Colombians the guerrillas plan to either kidnap or kill is a hoax.

General Amiro Barrios, commander of the Jupiter Task Force and responsible for all military activity against the elite FARC unit, told Caracol Radio that his unit has not carried out any ground operations against the FARC in recent weeks. Consequently, the army unit did not raid any camps or find any computers.

“It isn’t true. This is speculation. For some time we haven’t had direct combat with this [rebel military] structure and we don’t know from where the information came that there would be a computer and a list of Congressmen. We haven’t found anything,” Barrios told Caracol.

- Advertisement -

Barrios’ claim was corroborated by a second army commander, General Javier Alberto Florez of the 3rd Southeastern Joint Command who told the radio station that there had not been any bombings over the past few days and that no computer had been found.

The existence of the list was affirmed to several media  by undisclosed army officials on Wednesday, one day after Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon claimed the guerrillas planned to assassinate former President Alvaro Uribe.

MORE: Army Claims Finding FARC Kill List After Attacking South Colombia Rebel Camp

The alleged kidnapping and assassination plans of the guerrillas immediately put pressure on ongoing peace talks; The government’s chief negotiator Humberto de la Calle said that if the accusations proved true it would threaten the continuity of peace negotiations.

- Advertisement -

MORE: Alleged FARC Plot To Kill Uribe Puts Peace Process On The Line: Colombia’s Chief Negotiator

FARC peace negotiators in Cuba have refused to respond to the allegations.

The guerrilla group and the government are currently trying to negotiate a political solution to Colombia’s almost 50-year-old armed conflict.

Sources

The post Army generals deny having found FARC kill list appeared first on Colombia News | Colombia Reports.

- Advertisement -

FACT CHECK:
We strive for accuracy in its reports. But if you see something that doesn’t look right, send us an email. The Q reviews and updates its content regularly to ensure it’s accuracy.

Rico
"Rico" is the crazy mind behind the Q media websites, a series of onlinemagazines that includes TodayColombia.com. Rico brings his special kind of savvy to online marketing. His websites are engaging, provocative, informative and sometimes off the wall, where you either like or you leave it. The same goes for him, like him or leave him.There is no middle ground. No compromises, only a passion to present reality as he sees it!

Related Articles

Covid-19 vaccine will be mandatory in Colombia

QCOLOMBIA - In the framework of the new decisions that the...

Nine tourists rejecred for not meeting the requirements to enter Colombia

QCOLOMBIA - On Tuesday, December 14, the measure that requires international...
- paying the bills -

MOST READ

- paying the bills -

WANT TO STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST!

Get our daily newsletter with the latest posts directly in your mailbox. Click on the subscribe and fill out the form. It's that simple!